Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Recipe - Fruit Salad

In the spirit of adding more fruits and vegetables to our diet, I made this last night for supper.  It is a really good fruit salad.  When you see the calorie total at the end, you'll see why.


2 small (or one large) red delicious apples (128 cal)
2 small (or one large) granny smith apples (126 cal)
2 bartlet pears (162 cal)
1 medium orange (90 cal)
1 banana (121 cal)
1/2 cup mayo (458 cal)
1/4 cup sugar (194 cal)
2 tsp lemon juice (6 cal)
Cut fruit into bite size pieces.  Place in bowl and add lemon juice.  Toss.  Make sure fruit is well covered to prevent browning.  Mix mayo and sugar together to make dressing.  Pour over salad and mix.  Can be served right away or chilled for two hours.  It is actually better after sitting for a little bit.  Makes 6 cups or 12 servings.  1285 total calories, 107 calories per serving.  (Not as bad as I thought it would be.)

My grandmother made this salad.  When I became a mother and desired to make this, I asked around for the recipe.  No one had it.  The only response I got for amounts was "enough".  Actually, that's how I cook a lot.

Until last night, I had never measured the mayo and sugar before.  I had always added "enough".  Last night when I made it, I used a cup of mayo and 1/2 cup of sugar.  It was too much, almost by double.  So the salad I made last night had 1937 total calories or 162 cal per serving.

1 comment:

  1. The fruit salad, even though the mayo sounds a little strange, is actually very tasty. Now I understand why when I am helping Annessa cook and I ask her how much of something to put in, I always get the answer of, "Enough."

    ReplyDelete