Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Dog and the Plan

    Okay.  Exercise.

    I HATE EXERCISE!

    Need I say more?

    The first time I remember actually thinking "I hate this!" was when I was about four or five.  Weird, right?
    At that time, my friends and I were into racing.  More specifically, running...sprinting.  My body isn't built for sprinting.  It never has been.  And It wasn't when I was four and five.  Long legs don't always mean swiftness.  My friend was this short, little, quick bundle of energy.  She always won and I always lost.  (Not trying to sound like I'm whining, just stating motives.)  Well, I gave up on racing my friend, or anyone for that matter.  I told them I didn't like it anymore.
    That's when I started hating exercise.  Yet, I joined sports in junior high and high school.  Well, that was to get out of the house and be with my friends more than for the sports themselves.  When I discovered there were other activities besides sports, like marching band and speech, I dropped the sports and joined those instead.  Yeah...I'm a nerd.
     Anytime I think about heading to the gym or walking or jogging, I am disgusted.  I really dislike the idea.  So, in the past, I haven't.

     I don't think I have a choice anymore.

     So, here's the plan:
     1.  Have a reason to walk.                                                     Check.
          This is Katara.  We adopted her in December.  Don't fret about
          the ears, she's very submissive and ALWAYS looks like that. 
          And she doesn't like having her picture taken.
          In addition, I have decided to not take the closest parking spot
          I can find at the store.  Every little bit helps, right?
     2.  Walk her everyday.                                              Not so Check.
          Walking her everyday was part of the initial plan.  My
          don't-want-to's always seem to take over after a couple of days
          and it stops.  I'm not consistent, which shouldn't be a surprise
          if you've been reading.  Anyway, when she doesn't get walked,
          she gets bored and causes trouble.  So, there's more of a reason
          to get it done.
     3.  Start slow.                                                              Mega Check.
          My body doesn't handle fast paces anymore.  I have to start slow
          or I will give up just a couple days into it.  See #2.
     4.  Increase distance and intensity.                     Check if I have to.
          I know, I know, this is the ultimate point.

So, there it is.  The plan.  Updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment