Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Calories and Commitment

CALORIES

      I have never cared about calories.  NEVER.  In fact, I avoid even trying to consider them.  My opinion has been if I liked what I was eating, it didn't matter.  And, if it's good, the more the better.  And if it's really good, give me the recipe so I can make as much as I want.

     Sigh.

     Apparently, it does matter.

     And oh my! am I screwed.

     I found this nifty and brutally honest webpage.  I was searching for how many calories I should be eating and came across this BMI calculator.  Here's the link.
    So, I went through the questions and it gave me a few different things to consider, my BMI (ick), what it feels is my ideal weight range (blah), how many calories it thinks I should be eating (sigh) and where it thinks I should maintain my heart rate during exercise (GAH).

Reference
     Well, I suppose I'll admit it has some useful information, if I have to.  Time to get out my calculator.

     So, I played with it and figured out some things:
  1. It won't give me answers if I say I want to maintain my weight or gain weight.  It's no fun.
  2. If I put in 'lose one pound per week' with 'no activity' my caloric intake is a little over 2000 calories.  I guess that's not too bad.
  3. If I put in 'lose two pounds per week' with 'no activity', my caloric intake is a little under 1600 calories.  OOOOH MY!  I'm going to die.
  4. There's a handy "edit" button.
     And that's if I don't exercise.  Hmmm....

     I know, I know.  I'll have to exercise..............
Reference
     Well, based on the above facts, it appears that to loose an additional one pound per week, without exercise, I need to reduce my calories by about 450 per day.  (1150 calories per day is NOT an option!)  If I extrapolate that out, to maintain my weight, I need to eat about 2500 calories.  To gain about a pound a week, I need to eat about 2900 to 3000 calories per day.  To gain about two pounds per week, I'd have to eat about 3400 calories per day.  In the last three months, I've gained about 20 pounds which averages out to approximately 1.5 pounds per week.  Therefore, (this is highly scientific) I estimate I eat between 3000 and 3400 calories per day.

 

    FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!!

    No, Pete's not the guy above.

     I'm going to have to cut my calories IN HALF. 

     Kill me now.

     Or,

     I'm going to have to exercise. 

     No, seriously.  Kill me now.


     Sigh.

     I'm coming, dragging my feet and complaining the whole way.

Readers are AWESOME!

     Okay, I have to say this.  I've been blogging now for four whole days!  My small group of readers are wonderful.  Your comments here and on Facebook are encouraging and uplifting.  Thank you so much.  All of you are the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment