Sunday, February 15, 2015

Happiness is earned

     "Happiness must be earned from day to day, but it is worth the effort." - Ezra Taft Benson

     Mirraim-Webster defines earn as:  1) to receive as return for effort; 2) to come to be worthy of or entitled to.
     That puts a twist on things, to work for and to be worthy of happiness.
     It seems to me, the wordly understanding of happiness is something that someone deserves, not earns.  Isn't happiness supposed to just happen?  Isn't happiness something that should come naturally or easily?  When I meet the right person, the one I'll spend the rest of my life with, I'll be happy.  When I finally find the right job, one that fits my personality or gives the perfect hours to work, then I'll be happy.  When I make more money, I'll be happy.  There are a myriad of different applications for this idea.
    
     I have never thought about having to WORK at being HAPPY. 
     Shouldn't I just do that which makes me happy?  Or even better, if it doesn't make me happy, then I shouldn't do it.
     I find myself saying this a lot: "I don't wanna ____________". (Fill in the blank with the appropriate chore.)  I don't wanna clean the house.  I don't wanna do the dishes.  I don't wanna cook supper.  I don't wanna do the laundry.  I don't wanna get dressed today.  I don't wanna get outta bed.  I don't wanna leave the house.
     I think this is a HUGE problem that has led to my obesity.  I have a large list of 'don't-wannas'.  I have a habit of indulging this list.  These 'don't-wannas' feed into a depressive wave that pulls me under and soon, I'm not doing ANYTHING, except beating myself up for not doing anything.
     It shows in my diet:  I like my cheese puffs and my Dr. Pepper, I don't wanna give them up.  It shows in my activity level:  I don't wanna exercise, it SUCKS.

     What's that saying from the 80's?  "Ya' gotta wanna".

     Okay, that's true on one level.  If I'm going to do something, I have to want to do it.  But, it's kind of lazy, isn't it?  It's almost an excuse.  Well, if I really don't WANT to, then....

     The idea at the beginning of this crazy rant, I think, is something that needs to be explored.  Happiness is earned.  Everything that's good or worthwhile takes work, right?

     So what are the things to work for that make happiness?  I'm talking true happiness; happiness that doesn't evaporate.

    Or is that where the work comes in?


                                                                       Further study is required, me thinks....

1 comment:

  1. I have looked as happiness as a choice. It's like you said, there will always be something in your life that you think you need....why wait until it's there to "be happy"? Life will NEVER be all that you want it to be. Just enjoy the ride that life is. That's what I've learned. Sure, there are times when I'm not happy, but that's because I'm choosing to let certain things get to me. I can decide to look at the glass half full--and be happy about it, or look at it half empty--and let it bother me.
    What do you think about this? Hmm....now you've got me thinking even more on this subject......

    ReplyDelete